The Delhi School of Music which was established by the Delhi Music Society, is currently the premier institution for the teaching of western classical music in the Capital. In fact it is probably the only non-profit institution of its kind in northern India. It caters to between 1300 and 1400 students annually, and provides instruction on musical instruments (Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello, Guitar, Recorder, Keyboard, Flute, Saxophone, Clarinet, Drums), singing and dance.
The School came into being in 1966 under the direction of Dr. H. J. Koellreutter, a musician and composer who was also the head of the Max Mueller Bhavan in Delhi. From 1970 onwards, the school has been headed by a succession of experienced Indian teachers with qualifications in western classical music, notably Mr H.P. Palamkote who nurtured the School for more than two decades. The other teachers are also qualified to teach western classical music. The efforts put in by the early office bearers of the Society resulted in their obtaining a plot of land in Chanakyapuri and, in the seventies, raising the building that currently houses the School. During the Golden Jubilee year, some floors were added to the existing structure resulting in more space for the school activities.
The School also functions as a centre for the examinations of the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, England, as well as of the Trinity College of Music, London. There is a growing emphasis not just on individual performance but on ensemble playing, aural development and music appreciation. The staff and students of the School benifit from the workshops conducted by both visiting artistes and other musicians. Periodically, there are pupils’ concerts that acquaint the students with performace protocols etc.