Higher Studies in music

Hamburg University of Music and Theatre

The Hamburg University of Music and Theater emerged from the private drama school of Annemarie Marks-Rocke and Eduard Marks and was founded in 1950 under the name “State University of Music”. Its first director was the German composer Philipp Jarnach, one of the leading exponents of modern music in the 1920s. In the first few years, the university was housed decentrally at different locations in Hamburg and did not have its own building. After a course in Protestant church music was established in 1954, the university was able to move to the Budge Palais in 1956. In 1967 the university was renamed the State University of Music and Performing Arts in order to make the drama, theater and opera singing courses recognizable.