Higher Studies in music

Herberger Institute of Design and Arts - School of Music

The ASU Herberger Institute School of Music traces its roots back 100 years to the late 1800s when ASU was the Territorial Normal School. At the time, the Normal School acquired its first piano for $1,000, and began offering singing as a student activity. The first full-time professional music teacher was hired in 1902, and the first student band and orchestra were organized 13 years later. When the Bachelor of Arts degree in music first was offered in 1946, there were 25 students majoring in the field. Master’s degrees became available in the late 1940s.